Friday, November 1, 2013

Part-Time Racer/Full-Time Student

As a college student, I'm relatively busy. That has always made me curious how college athletes are able to balance school with practice/games/social life/and possibly work.

In high school, I played softball. That was manageable for me because games and practice didn't interfere with classes, and we never traveled too far (so, it wasn't late when we got home).

However, being a college athlete means that you are probably going to miss several classes during your sport's season. Meaning, you miss lectures, class discussions, exams...

"I love what I do, and it's
worth every bit of work I put into
it and more," said Ryan Ellis.
Yet, college athletes are able to make up the work because there is usually an understanding between the coaches and the professors, and absences are excused.

What if you play a sport that doesn't represent the college--racing, for instance?

Ryan Ellis, part-time driver in the NASCAR Nationwide Series, grew up around racing.

His father and his father's father raced, and it was natural for him to fall in line: "Before I could walk, I would crawl over to my Power Wheels Jeep and drive around the house.

When I was four, my parents got me my first quarter midget," said Ellis.

Since then, he has been working his way up the racing ladder.

In addition to being a part-time driver, Ellis is also currently a business-marketing major at George Mason University.

Ellis's main career goal is to reach the highest level of NASCAR, and that is why he chose his major: "I believe the most successful drivers today are either great engineers or great marketers. The best drivers are both," he said.

As sponsorship has become a huge part in all facets of racing, Ellis believes that his marketing background will help him receive (and maintain) the funding to eventually become a full-time driver in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.

Because he is an athlete in a sport that does not directly represent his university, it has been difficult for Ellis to keep up with his classes.

"Some professors do not allow me to make up exams if I am out of town and ultimately, that is the reason I am still in school," he said. "I have had to drop six or seven classes because I was out of town for a race, and the professor would not allow me to reschedule an exam. If it weren't for that, I would have graduated a year ago."

Ellis hasn't let this get him down. Driving full-time in NASCAR is his dream, and he is willing to do what it takes to make racing his number one priority.

While it may be argued that classes should come first, Ellis makes note that "there are only so many opportunities to make it in this sport.

"I'm very lucky to be at the level I am, and I'll do anything to stay here," he said.

The quote in Ryan Ellis' email signature said it best: "Racing is life... everything before and after is just waiting." -- Steve McQueen

No comments:

Post a Comment